The Cognasium Approach
We have fully adopted the Cognasium Approach for seniors. Cognasium means “gymnasium for the brain” or doing those things which help our brains stay as active and healthy as possible. There are four parts to this approach: mental stimulation, physical activity, good nutrition, and active socialization. Many seniors and the elderly stay at home, watch TV and let their brains go dormant. We all know that our brains are like muscles if we don’t use them we can lose them.
Here are the benefits families see in their loved ones:
- Enhanced positive mood and outlook on life
- Slowed progression of dementia and memory challenges
- Improved social and verbal abilities
- Enhanced memory through reminiscing and socializing
- Stimulated mental activity through games, puzzles, and crafts
- Increased physical activity, strength and blood flow
- Improved art skills and abilities
- New friends made and enjoyed
- Increased appetite and nutrition (we all eat better when we eat with others)
- Boosted self-esteem through celebration of their life and accomplishments
Just like with school, the more we go the better we do. No senior needs “daycare” but all seniors need mental stimulation, physical activity, good nutrition, and social interaction. At Aspen Senior Day Center we help seniors live life more fully—and quality of life is important to all of us. Yes, an added benefit is the respite we provide to family caregivers who desperately deserve it and need it.